Marijuana Detox Time
Marijuana is a product of the plant Cannabis sativa and goes by the following names, among others:
The main mind-altering ingredient in marijuana is THC, but more than 400 other chemicals are also present in the plant. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) indicates that the strength of today’s marijuana is as much as ten times greater than the marijuana used in the early 1970s. The amount of THC in marijuana determines how strong its effects will be, and the more potent marijuana is, the greater the physical and mental side effects and potential for health problems.
Symptoms of Marijuana Withdrawal
The symptoms of marijuana withdrawal include the following:
- Loss of appetite
- Aggression and irritability
- Extreme cravings
Marijuana Detox Time
When detoxing from heroin or other opiates, a licensed detox specialist may prescribe medication to ease the discomfort of withdrawal. However, no such medicinal support exists to help with marijuana withdrawal symptoms, making the primary strategy for detoxing from marijuana to simply not use it. A proven method of easing marijuana withdrawal system is sustained and vigorous exercise. Physical activities help lessen the severity of detox symptoms in the following ways:
- Prompting the release of natural “feel good” neurotransmitters
- Helping to ease feelings of depression and anxiety
- Tiring the body which may help with relapse-provoked insomnia
In addition, it is helpful for the marijuana user to have some form of sober support network to rely on during the initial days of recovery.
Just because marijuana withdrawal is not as severe as other drugs, many people feel that they can quit on their own. However, that is not always the case because cravings to “get high” often overwhelm a person. Going to detox provides the following benefits:
- You do not have access to marijuana
- You gain a solid foundation for continued long-term abstinence
- You can receive counseling to explore the causes of your drug use behaviors
- You can learn effective strategies to avoid temptation
- You can connect with others who no longer want to use drugs to have a social life
Learn More about Marijuana Detox Programs
If you need assistance finding the right treatment program for your Marijuana addiction, call our toll-free number today. We are available 24 hours a day to answer any questions you might have about Marijuana detox treatment. We are here to help.